FELICITATION CEREMONY FOR DISTINGUISHED PETERITE, INTERNATIONAL AWARD RECIPIENTS.
Today (the 8th) of December was joyous occasion to all Peterites as we recognized and appreciate the achievements of four brilliant Peterites who brought glory to our alma mater by their accomplishments and services done towards the country on international stage. The Award Recipient who were felicitated are as follows.
1. Master Dilshan Weerasinghe
2. Master Demintha Fonseka
3. Master Akalanka Peiris
4. Master Randev Athukorala
ACHIVEMENTS OF DILSHAN WEERASINGHE
· The International Biology Olympiad Competition is based on Theory and Practical Examinations on knowledge and expertise in Biology. In addition to provide inspiring scientific challenges and the chance to win medals, the competition gave the young bio enthusiasts a unique opportunity to get together with other young people with an interest in science.
· 68 Countries including China, Denmark, India, Pakistan, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, United Kingdom, United States of America, participated for this completion.
· There was a national round of exams called SLBO held in July annually to select students for IBO. The application for it is available online and you can get it from iobsl.org . He applied for it and was placed 2nd and obtained a gold medal. The gold medalists and Silver medalist which made a total of 24 had a second round of exams to select 9 students out of them. He got selected to this group as well. Then the 9 students were given a third round of exams including theoretical and practical tasks . Four were selected in the final round to represent Sri Lanka in IBO 2017.The other participants were Anagi Kottahachchi(Devi Balika Vidyalaya Colombo), Sachini Hettiarchchi (Mahamaya Balika Vidyalaya Kandy)and Nisal Punsara ( Rahula College Matara).
· And at the International Biology Olympiad Competition 2017, held in Coventry, UK Dilshan Weerasinghe made St. Peter's College and Sri Lanka proud by winning a Bronze Medal.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF DEMINTHA FONSEKA
· Obtained 9A’s at the GCE Ordinary Level Examination.
· Appointed President of the English Literary and Drama Society for the years 2015/2017.
· Under the directorship of Jehan Bastians and Neidra Williams, the Cast of St Peter’s College emerged champions at the All-Island Shakespeare Drama Competition for their rendition of ‘Julius Caesar’ in 2016. Nominated for the award for Best Supporting Actor.
· Obtained Distinctions for his final grade examinations in Speech and Drama, Vocal Performance, and Piano Forte, awarded by Trinity College Guildhall and the Associated Board of the Royal School of Music.
· Played the role of the Narrator in the critically acclaimed Peterite production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, directed by Jehan Bastians and Neidra Williams, in January 2017.
· Was the assistant director for the Royal Drama Competition held in April 2017.
· Awarded the Best Actor Award for 2017’s CBB Drama Competition for his portrayal of Hamlet.
· Obtained 2A*s for Accounting and Mathematics and an A for Economics at the Edexcel International Advanced Level offered by Pearson in June 2017, where he went on to win the prize for the 1st in the World Prize in Accounting.
· Currently reading for his BSc in Economics and Finance from the University of London at the Royal Institute in Colombo.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF AKALANKA PEIRIS 2017
National school games
-50 m back -1st place -50 m butterfly -1st place -100 m back -1st place
Sri Lanka schools swimming championships
-50 m butterfly -1st place -50 m back -1st place -100 m back -1st place
National age group championships
-50 m butterfly -1st place -50 m back -1st place -100 m back -1st place -100 m free -1st place -200 m back -1st place
-50 m butterfly -1st place -50m back -1st place -50 m free -1st place -100 m back -1st place -200 m back
-6th youth commonwealth games- Bahamas -50 m butterfly- 24.96 -4th place - new national record -50 m backstroke-26.89 - 5th place - new national record
-5th fina world junior championships -USA -50 m back - world rank 20th -26.74 (broke my own national record) -100 m back- 58.00 - world rank 24th -200 m back- world rank 24th - 2.09 -50 m butterfly- world rank 24th -9th Asian age group championships - UZBEKISTAN -50 m butterfly- 24.86- gold medal- broke his own national record -50 m back- 26.54- gold medal - broke his own national record -100 m back- 56.99 - silver medal- New national record
-Established 3 national records.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF RANDEV N. A . ATHUKORALA
4th year Black Belt, Sri Lanka Schools Karate Team, Ministry of Education
2nd year Black Belt, Sri Lanka Karate Team, Ministry of Sports.
Double medallion South Asian Karate Championship(Gold- 2016, Silver-2017)
Gold Medallion Nepal Karate Championship - 2015
Silver Medallion Malaysian Milo Karate Championship - 2014
Silver Medallion Iran Karate Championship - 2013
World Karate Federation Rank - 2017 is 17th globally, 2016 is ranked 42nd.(Only Preterite to be ranked globally and only Sri Lankan in the top 20 Cadet)
Captain Sri Lanka Cadet Karate Team for South Asian Karate championship.
MORE IMAGES FROM THE CEREMONY